Appraisal Consultant, Michigan Level 3 Certified
The primary function of this part-time position is to provide appraisal consulting and oversight services in support of the 2017 area reappraisal project. As Appraisal Consultant, you would provide the highest level of expertise for all types of appraisal services and serve as an expert regarding the State of Michigan’s assessment processes and procedures utilizing BS&A CAMA methodologies and assessment administration as appropriate.
Benton Harbor, Michigan
- Ensure compliance with all State Tax Commission rules and bulletins regarding the area's reappraisal project as defined by contractual obligations.
- Engage and work directly onsite with members of the project team twice monthly
- Confer, advise, assist, and respond accordingly to issues, questions, and concerns as posed by the Certifying Assessor or their designee, Assessment Division staff, the Project Supervisor, and other vendors as appropriate, regarding the data collection, verification, and valuation processes.
- Review actual versus planned progress regarding contract work plan and invoicing.
- Inform the area's Executive Steering Committee members regarding project progress, while responding to questions or concerns as brought forth by the committee, Michigan State Tax Commission, or Department of Treasury.
- On-site collaboration with the area's certifying assessor and project supervisor as necessary and/or appropriate.
- Perform any additional tasks consistent with and related to the previously defined duties as outlined herein.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Michigan Master Assessor (3) Certification required
- Continued education in all areas of the appraisal profession required. Successful completion of IAAO 1 and 2, or equivalent courses.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in the mass appraisal field.
- Valid driver’s license issued by the state in which the employee lives.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Expertise in market modeling, income modeling, the cost approach, neighborhood delineation, land pricing, creating and adjusting tables.
- Sophisticated analytical and mathematical skills required in all phases of the appraisal projects. Able to calculate square footage, depreciation, and ratios, and reconstruct income and expense statements
- Versatility and ability necessary to analyze complex problems relating to property values and/or management decisions
- Ability to manipulate computer/statistical models to apply factors influencing values including grade, CDU, neighborhood, and land factors
- Ability to apply Boeckh, Marshall-Swift Residential, and Commercial Cost Systems
- Strong PC skills, including knowledge of MS-Word and Excel, or their equivalents, and CAMA database software
- Knowledge of various appraisal software
- Must be able to provide reliable transportation and carry full insurance on vehicle.